04:31 - Amy’s Superpower: Search Algorithms and Finding Things
- Finding Things in Code
- Visual vs Spacial Awareness
08:39 - Toxic Masculinity and Hierarchies in Engineering Roles
- I’m not in security but whenever I hear people taking about who is more technical all I see is folks jockeying for status.(not blaming, that’s the culture we have made in software generally). But from outside whatever y’all mean when you say technical is completely opaque.
- “Soft Skills” vs “Technical”
14:22 - Measuring Skill Advancement
- The Individual Contributor (IC) vs Manager Track
- Management vs Mentorship
21:02 - Congressive vs Ingressive
- x + y: A Mathematician's Manifesto for Rethinking Gender by Eugenia Cheng
- GTC Episode 038: Category Theory for Normal Humans with Dr. Eugenia Cheng
22:43 - Ways Toxicity Shows Up in The Workplace
- Doing/Recognizing “Real Work”
- Letting Go of Past Baggage
- Amy Newell - Lessons from Bipolar Disorder (The first time Amy said the word “Patriarchy”)
29:07 - Unlearning and Psychological Safety
37:07 - The Word “Nontechnical”
- Respecting Expertise
- Skilled/Unskilled Labor: All Labor is Skilled Labor!
40:41 - Recognizing and Feeling Value
- Being Your Authentic Self
- Making Culture Better for Everyone; Supporting People & Making Space
- Counting Emotional Energy
- Enough Leaning In. Let’s Tell Men to Lean Out.
- Yes, and-ing
Jessica: Every person has a unique set of ways they can have an impact and best contribute.
Jamey: Feeling like you belong and realizing that others might not. Being aware of both mindsets.
Amy: The onus really should be on people who have power and privilege in any conversation to be doing most of the work to be aware of what I see vs what they see.Support Greater Than Code
Today's show is sponsored by strongDM.
Managing your remote team as they work from home? Managing a gazillion SSH keys, database passwords, and Kubernetes certs?
Meet strongDM. Manage and audit access to servers, databases, and Kubernetes clusters, no matter where your employees are.
With strongDM, easily extend your identity provider to manage infrastructure access. Automate onboarding, offboarding, and moving people within roles. Grant temporary access that automatically expires to on-call teams.
Admins get full auditability into anything anyone does: when they connect, what queries they run, what commands are typed. It's full visibility into everything. For SSH, RDP, and Kubernetes, that means video replays. For databases, it's a single unified query log across all database management systems.
strongDM is used by companies like Hearst, Peloton, Betterment, Greenhouse, and SoFi to manage access. It's more control and less hassle.
strongDM. Manage and audit remote access to infrastructure.
Start your free 14-day trial today at strongdm.com/SDT
Collaboration between different disciplines in your organization can be difficult, and finding clarity and alignment on both the right problem to solve and the right solution design is even more so. We each approach improvement from our own (limited) perspective, without taking into account the whole story. How is that effective?
Paul Rayner's EventStorming Facilitation Virtual Workshop is a multi-day online event that promotes collaboration between different disciplines in order to solve business problems in the most effective way.
This virtual workshop with Paul consists of 4 sessions on Sep 28-Oct 1 from 9am-Noon (CDT) each day. To register and get 20% off your ticket, visit virtualgenious.com/events and use the code VGGTC.
In this highly hands-on and interactive virtual workshop you'll learn advanced EventStorming facilitation skills spanning from large scale business discovery to collaborative solution design at the team level.
Once again to get 20% off your ticket, visit virtualgenious.com/events and use the code VGGTC.