01:32 - Joe’s Superpower: Hospitality
06:20 - Social Media: It's time for us to stop acting like we are getting access to social media for free.
- When you add up your household's cable/Internet/phone bills, you're paying bare minimum $100/mo.
- This money isn't going to Facebook and Twitter, but it is the entry fee for bringing these platforms into your home, where they subsequently track everything you do, everyone you know, build a facial recognition database with the photos you post, and determine your sexual orientation before you even disclose it.
- Nobody reads the privacy policies.
- UBDI – Universal Basic Data Income
15:36 - Owing Your Identity & Data
25:25 - Protecting Children’s’ Privacy & Data
32:00 - Leading The Movement; Rolling Out a Solution: Taking back control of our data
- People who are willing to be hobbyists
- Experimentation & Activism
Christina: The value and the power of open source and thinking beyond giving your data out willy-nilly.
Jacob: Teaching our children to be thoughtful technologists.
Jerome: Keeping our kids safe is a job on top of a job, and the goalpost keeps moving!
Joe: A reminder that other people are thinking about this. We are all concerned about privacy.
To make a one-time donation so that we can continue to bring you more content and transcripts like this, please do so at paypal.me/devreps. You will also get an invitation to our Slack community this way as well.Support Greater Than Code
Today's show is sponsored by strongDM.
Managing your remote team as they work from home? Managing a gazillion SSH keys, database passwords, and Kubernetes certs?
Meet strongDM. Manage and audit access to servers, databases, and Kubernetes clusters, no matter where your employees are.
With strongDM, easily extend your identity provider to manage infrastructure access. Automate onboarding, offboarding, and moving people within roles. Grant temporary access that automatically expires to on-call teams.
Admins get full auditability into anything anyone does: when they connect, what queries they run, what commands are typed. It's full visibility into everything. For SSH, RDP, and Kubernetes, that means video replays. For databases, it's a single unified query log across all database management systems.
strongDM is used by companies like Hearst, Peloton, Betterment, Greenhouse, and SoFi to manage access. It's more control and less hassle.
strongDM. Manage and audit remote access to infrastructure.
Start your free 14-day trial today at strongdm.com/SDT