02:04 - Aaron’s Superpower: Relating to people on any level because he has so many hobbies!
- Useful in DevRel
- Ending Up in Unexpected Places
- Trying New Things and Nerding Out
06:42 - Everything Has a Technical Aspect
- Music vs Computer Programming
- Computer Systems as Sociotechnical Systems
10:37 - Connecting High-Performing Resilient Teams
- Common Ground Within Teams
- Recovering From Failure
- Failover Conf by Gremlin
14:14 - Implementing Purposeful/Intentional Communication
- Team vs Individual Work
- Ken Mugrage - Keynote Speaker | Everything I need to know about DevOps I learned in The Marines
- Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders by L. David Marquet
17:55 - Highlights from Failover Conf - (Videos not available)
19:45 - How did an actual virtual conference go since COVID-19?
- Slack Implementation
- #Hallway-track channel
- Each Talk Had Its’ Own Q&A Channel
- People Interaction
- Technical Difficulties
- Zoom Chat After the Conference
- Deserted Island DevOps
26:27 - The Impact of Having ADHD
- Advanced Forms of Coping Mechanisms
- Quality Time
- Struggling with ADHD During COVID-19
- Working From Home and Being Thrown Into Remote Work
- Juggling Meetings
- Maintaining Comradery
39:43 - Normalcy Theater: Maintaining a Sense That Everything is Fine (When It’s NOT.)
- Grief and Loss is Happening on a Global Level
- J. Paul Reed
- Shed Load
- Sacrificing Thoroughness: we are ALL overloaded
- Recruiting Resources
- Shifting Work and Time
- Showing Others Grace and Empathy
John: The idea of a software team plays at software just like a music group plays at instruments. (Twitter thread)
Carina: Everything has technical and human skills aspects.
Aaron: It’s okay to not be getting things done right now and to be taking the time that we need to take care of ourselves.
To make a one-time donation so that we can continue to bring you more content and transcripts like this, please do so at paypal.me/devreps. You will also get an invitation to our Slack community this way as well.Support Greater Than Code
Today’s show is sponsored by strongDM.
Transitioning your team to work from home? Managing a gazillion SSH keys, database passwords, and Kubernetes certs?
Meet strongDM. Manage and audit access to servers, databases, and Kubernetes clusters, no matter where your employees are.
With strongDM, easily extend your identity provider to manage infrastructure access. Automate onboarding, offboarding, and moving people within roles. Grant temporary access that automatically expires to on-call teams.
Admins get full auditability into anything anyone does: when they connect, what queries they run, what commands are typed. It’s full visibility into everything. For SSH, RDP, and Kubernetes, that means video replays. For databases, it’s a single unified query log across all database management systems.
strongDM is used by companies like Hearst, Peloton, Betterment, Greenhouse, and SoFi to manage access. It’s more control and less hassle.
strongDM. Manage and audit remote access to infrastructure”.
Start your free 14-day trial today at strongdm.com/GTC.