01:17 - Brandy’s Superpower: Adaptability
02:22 - Codes of Ethics
- Facial Recognition Technology
- Fear Detection Software / Emotion Recognition
- AI "emotion recognition" can't be trusted.
- Royal Oak police stop Black man for 'looking suspiciously' at white woman
- The Fear Response to African Americans: A Summary of an fMRI Study on Amygdala Activation and Race
11:09 - The Role of Diversity and Inclusion in Solving These Problems
- Unintended Consequences
- The diversity and inclusion revolution: Eight powerful truths
- The Truth About Diverse Teams
24:18 - Balancing Hierarchies and Equity in Organizations
- The Spoken Value System Vs The Lived Value System
- Doing Meaningful Work / Showing Appreciation
- Founder and Executive Support
- Ethical HR
- Owning Up To Mistakes
- Treating Trauma of the System
50:27 - Racism and Unlearning
Jamey: If you know there’s spots on your team with missing demographics, seek out those people.
John: The culture of a company comes from the top.
Rein: Helping teams work better together.
Brandy: Improving manager boards to ensure that there is accountability when moving people up in hierarchical organizations.
To make a one-time donation so that we can continue to bring you more content and transcripts like this, please do so at paypal.me/devreps. You will also get an invitation to our Slack community this way as well.
Amazon links may be affiliate links, which means you’re supporting the show when you purchase our recommendations. Thanks!Support Greater Than Code
The CodeNewbie Podcast is all about stories from folks on their coding journey. They talk to new developers, experienced developers and everyone in between about how they got started learning to code, how they navigate their technical careers, and they also do deep dives into technical topics in a newbie-friendly way. Check out their podcast at www.codenewbie.org/podcast.