01:10 - Phil’s Superpower: Putting Himself in Others’ Shoes.
02:03/09:14 From Software Engineer to Management
- Empathy Through The Career Shift
- The Learning Curve
- Making a Conscious Choice To Switch
- Gaining Leadership Skills
- Making Your Own Opportunities
03:34 - How Phil Came Into The Greater Than Code Community
- Found Through Twitter
05:54 - Commonalities Between Issues Between USA and NZ
- Inclusion, Equality in Technology
07:05 - Life Science Software Experience
- Cloud Based, LT
- Awareness of Accessibility
16:45 - To Get Into Management or Not
- It’s Not For Everyone
- Impostor Syndrome
18:55 - The Parallels Of Management And Parenting
26:17 - Working From Home Or The Office
- Setting The Right Examples For The Team
- Encouraging People To Take Leave, Learning And Development Opportunities, Health Reasons Without Repercussions
31:47 - Living In A College/University Town
32:54 - Overcoming Impostor Syndrome
- Exists In The Technology Sector
- Exists In Other Disciplines
- Turn The Ship Around!
- The Manager’s Path
35:58 - Empathy For Managers And Employees
- Leadership Development
- Journaling/Note Taking
- Becoming A Technical Leader
51:11 - Phil’s Thoughts For The Future
- Citizens Before Consumers
- What Can We Do Better?
- The Global Digital Citizen Foundation
Jacob: Happy being an individual contributor but contributing to the art of management by being a better employee and having empathy for managers.
Phil: Self-Awareness and empathy. Wanting to push his people in a certain direction but taking that step back and determining where that motivation is coming from.
Chanté: Impostor syndrome: at some point in time we’re all impostors. Doing reading about leadership can help whether you are taking that path or not.
To make a one-time donation so that we can continue to bring you more content and transcripts like this, please do so at paypal.me/devreps. You will also get an invitation to our Slack community this way as well.
Amazon links may be affiliate links, which means you’re supporting the show when you purchase our recommendations. Thanks!Support Greater Than Code