02:28 - Courtney’s Superpower: Speaking on the Topic of Racism
“You can’t prioritize your discomfort over living your own values.” – Courtney
- White Liberals Are Dangerous: the “I’m liberal...I’m not that bad” narrative
- Action & Engaging in Antiracist Practices Over Lipservice
- Antiracism is a Lifelong Learning Process
- Not Seeing Race is Problematic – Disproportive Representation
13:16 - Adopting Attitudes Towards Antiracism
- Understanding White Supremacy
- If It’s Not Antiracist, It’s Racist
16:24 - 1000 Cut Journey
- "1000 Cut Journey" Launches at Tribeca Film Festival
- Culture, Narratives, and Stories are Powerful Tools
- Feedback & Reactions
25:59 - Empathy is Insufficient
- Are you aware of how white you are?
34:34 - The Tendency to Avoid Racism and Talking About Race
39:30 - Systemic Racism and Technology
- Diversity is Not About Aesthetics
- Centering Race
- Training & Onboarding
- Hiring From Non-Traditional Backgrounds
- Understanding “Social Work”
- Shifting Orientation:
- Being Antiracist
- Being Transdisciplinary
- Understanding that avoiding harm is not the same thing as achieving justice
Rein: “Intention without strategy is chaos.” – Dr. Kim Crayton
Arty: Taking an antiracist approach to product development.
Jacob: Thinking more about the phrase “transdisciplinary” and the difference between it and “interdisciplinary.”
Courtney: 1. Talking about difficult things in a way that can be anchored in learning. 2. It’s not about what you believe; it’s what you do. 3. There is no neutral in marginalization and oppression.
To make a one-time donation so that we can continue to bring you more content and transcripts like this, please do so at paypal.me/devreps. You will also get an invitation to our Slack community this way as well.Support Greater Than Code
Let's face it, your code is going to have errors, even code written by a kick-ass developer such as yourself. When bad things happen, it's nice to know that Honeybadger has your back.
Honeybadger makes you a DevOps hero by combining error monitoring, uptime monitoring, and chron monitoring into a single, easy to use the platform, all for way less than you're probably paying now.
Honeybadger monitors and sends error alerts in real-time with all the context needed to see what's causing the error and where it's hiding in your code so you can quickly fix it and get on with your day.
The included uptime and chron monitoring also let you know when your external services are having issues or your background jobs go AWOL or silently fail.
Go to Honeybadger.io and discover how Starr, Josh, and Ben created a 100% bootstrapped monitoring solution. Why is this important? Self-funding means they only answer to you, the developer, rather than a venture capital overlord.
Greater Than Code listeners get 30% off for 6 months. Simply mention Greater Than Code when signing up and they'll apply the discount to your account; no credit card required.